Almost a year has passed since last release but yesterday Sphere 4.0 update 3 was made available by VMware for those of you who are still on 4.0 version.
On a quite short what’s new list in vSphere 4.0 update 3 is
- Improved All Paths Down handling on LUN rescan situations
- Updated VMware Tools with improved Paravirtual SCSI, WDDP and XPDM drivers
- Additional drivers for 3ware SCSI controllers
For full list of bug fixes in ESX/ESXi and vCenter Server please refer to vSphere 4.0 update 3 release notes.
On a installation and upgrade section of vSphere 4.0 update 3 release notes there is an note: “VMware vCenter Server does not support installation on 32-bit Windows operating systems. Install vCenter Server on a 64-bit Windows operating system”. This must be a doc bug because 32-bit Windows is still listed as supported OS for vCenter Server 4.0 in VMware vSphere Compatibility Matrixes.
Following new databases are now supported with vCenter Server 4.0 update 3
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition – 32/64-bit
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition – 32/64-bit
- SQL Server 2008 Express – 32/64-bit (Experimental support) 12
- Oracle 11g Standard Edition, Release 2 [220.127.116.11.0] – 32/64-bit
- Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition, Release 2 [18.104.22.168.0] – 32/64-bit
- IBM DB2 Enterprise 9.7.2 – 32/64-bit 2
- IBM DB2 Workgroup 9.7.2 – 32/64-bit 2
- IBM DB2 Express 9.7.2 – 32/64-bit 2
- IBM DB2 Express C 9.7.2 – 32/64-bit 2
1. Maximum of 5 hosts and 50 virtual machines.
2. Not supported with Update Manager